Welcome.

Welcome to the Willow Knits blog.

I'm Anne and I'll be using this blog to let you know what is happening with Willow Knits during the year.

I'll include which Farmers' Markets and shows I'm going to be at, what I'm working on and general news and events plus a little about myself.

If you want to buy one of the scarves or some of the yarn featured, just look in our etsy shop (to the right of the page) or contact me and I'll reserve it for you.











Tuesday 16 July 2013

Knitting & Crochet Guild Convention

I've just got back from our convention weekend in Derby - what a great time! There was so much to do and every moment had an activity, workshop or talk.

We stayed in the Hallmark Hotel, which was so convenient as it was just two minutes walk from the station. I decided to go by train this year and I'm glad I did. It was the hottest weekend of the year so far and it would have been quite an ordeal to have driven up and back. I don't do well in heat - I'm more of a winter person and love snow!

Fortunately the conference room we were using was air conditioned and comfortable. It was great to meet people I already knew and to get get chatting with new people too. I did a workshop on hairpin crochet - a new technique for me, which was interesting. I'm glad I tried it, but it's probably not for me although you can make some beautiful fabric with it. As well as workshops there were interesting talks on aspects of the Guild's collections of patterns and garments, plus two outside speakers on (loosely) knitting related topics (ceramic tile designs and the olympics sports clothing). I enjoyed these - I don't think the weekend should be exclusively focused on technical details of knitting & crochet, although those are of course the main interest of the members.

We also had an exhibition of items from the collection called "in the nursery" focusing on children's wear, shawls and toys. some very old and all beautifully worked and inspiring.

Last, but not least, was the "show and tell" session, where members brought an item they had made and told everyone how they had made it and then passed it round for everyone to see and feel.    

I'm all unpacked now and can get back to getting ready for Fibre East. I'll dye the last batch of yarn tomorrow and then start getting my checklist of things I need to take with me up to date. At least, as I'll be commutng this year it won't be a disaster if I forget something initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment